Skordalia

I have Riverford Organics to thank for this wonderful find, as it was an integral part of the dish in my first vegan recipe box I ordered off them.   I tripled the original recipe, so I could freeze a couple of portions, so reduce it down if you want.   The recipe calls for raw garlic which I am not fond of, so I used a whole roasted garlic bulb, so if you reduce the amount, use however much garlic you like and keep the rest for other dishes.

1.5 kg potato 
1 garlic bulb
Salt and pepper
9 tbsp rapeseed oil
60 g ground almonds
3 tbsp cider vinegar

Serves 6

Pre-heat the oven to 180ยบ.   Cut the top off the garlic bulb, place on some tinfoil, drizzle with a little oil and season with salt and pepper, wrap in the foil and roast for an hour, until brown and caramelised.   Leave to cool for 15 mins, then squish the garlic flesh out of the skin.




Peel and cube the potatoes and boil until soft, then drain into a colander and leave to steam dry, then put back in the pan with plenty salt and pepper and the oil and mash thoroughly.



Using a pestle and mortar crush the garlic with the almonds, cider vinegar and a good grind of salt and pepper to a smooth thick paste.  



Mix the skordalia paste with the potato, until thoroughly combined then check the seasoning and add more if required.



I served the skordalia with sausages, roast beetroot and steamed cabbage and kale and it was scrumptious, so much so these will be my mashed potato of choice in future.



Comments

Popular Posts