Shrub Eastgate Row Chester 1st June 2021

Shrub is a 100% vegan restaurant and cocktail bar, in the middle of the city and a short walk from our hotel, so I booked a table for dinner.


Shrub is beautiful inside and I loved everything about it, the lighting, furnishings and the ambience, it has a lovely chilled vibe, so perfect for dining.



We chose a very nice bottle of rose wine, whilst we perused the menu, which has a good selection of dishes to suit every taste.



We chose olives, beetroot humous and flatbread to share, with corn ribs for Steven (unsuitable for me as they contained soya).



The beetroot houmous was delicious and the corn ribs were a revelation apparently, such a creative way to use corn on the cob, I am going to try and replicate the dish.

My choice for mains was squash and baba ganoush with gluten free linguine verde for Steven and the dishes looked so appetising when served.



We could not fault either dish, I loved the smoky baba ganoush with the squash, wild rice and quinoa and the linguine was right up Steven's street, sprinkled with toasted almonds and vegan Parmesan.   Sadly I was unable to have dessert, as they all contained soya, but Steven had his eye on the raspberry and chocolate tart, which he voted as the best version he has eaten.


I ended the meal with an Earl Grey tea and oat milk and reflected on previous visits to Chester, when vegan options were thin on the ground and how veganism has come on in leaps and bounds.


If you visit Chester, make sure a visit to Shrub is included, I cannot wait to revisit.   Highly recommended.

Comments

Popular Posts