Spinach Pesto

I had loads of spinach delivered in my weekly Riverford order, so decided to make a big batch of spinach pesto.   This is great with pasta, spread on toasted bread with melted cheese on top, a dip for bread sticks and crudite or in risotto as in my last photo.

350 g spinach
50 g pine nuts toasted
2 garlic cloves sliced
50 ml rapeseed oil
10 g nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper

Toast the pine nuts until golden brown, making sure you move them round the pan so they do not burn then leave to one side.



Pesto usually contains raw garlic, which does not agree with Steven, so I gently cook the garlic in a tablespoon of oil, until lightly golden.



Wash the spinach and remove as much water as possible, so it does not dilute the pesto too much.


Put the spinach, pine nuts, garlic and oil into a large jug and blitz with a stick blender, until the mixture has a creamy consistency, add the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to taste and blitz again.


I divided the pesto into plastic pots to freeze, which come in really handy, when you want to make a quick meal, like I did the other day and made this spinach and broad bean risotto.



Comments

Popular Posts