Sunday, 7 May 2017

The Red Lion High Street Skipton 6th May 2017

The Red Lion is slap bang in the middle of Skipton, so handy for everywhere, including our vegan dinner booked at The Castle Inn, just round the corner.   They do not advertise rooms on their website, which is strange, but you can book accommodation, via Late Rooms.

I emailed to request a copy of their breakfast allergen list, so I could check if their bread was vegan and soya free.   I was impressed how quickly they responded and on checking, found that the bread was suitable for me.

This is a busy pub and my concerns about noise, were confirmed during our visit.   We were shown to our room, overlooking the main street and although adequate, was not that clean and needed a freshen up, but was okay for the purpose of our stay.




We were not only disturbed by people going past our window, later on in the evening, but also by the room occupants next door.   I know this is not the pubs fault, but the walls must very thin and it would put me off stopping again.

Breakfast in the morning, served in the bar, is pretty basic.   On their website it included avocado on toast and porridge, but was not on the menu we were offered.   There was no fresh fruit, only orange juice, no alternative milks, so good job I brought my own and not a great selection of cereals either.   I asked if I could have grilled tomatoes and mushrooms on toast, cooked in oil, which was happily accommodated and must admit these were excellent, especially with the vegan margarine I took with me.



I was all for not returning, however after posting this review on Twitter, I was contacted by Greene King the pub company, who asked for more details.   I then received a call from The Red Lion's General Manager, who apologised profusely, about the issues.   She said she would look at their breakfast options, have a word with the cleaner, but sadly the thin walls remain an issue obviously.   I therefore decided to give The Red Lion another chance in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment