Friday, 19 May 2017

Source Castlegate York 17th May 2017

On a recent visit to York with friends, it was left to me to find somewhere to dine, that would cater for all of us and Source had to be the place, as they had a vegan menu.




Inside Source is modern and contemporary, but cosy and I liked its open style kitchen and all the wood used throughout.



I loved the creative vegan options, far removed from the run of the mill dishes, sometimes offered, with the special of the day, proudly chalked on the blackboard.


I really wanted to have the vegan 'fried chicken' made from seitan,but was concerned it may contain soya, our waitress confirmed that it was soya free, with chef.   I have had disasters making homemade seitan, which was so rubbery, it was impossible to chew, so I was looking forward to lunch.



The seitan was a triumph, it was light, had a fantastic texture, was delicious, but not oily in the least and with the dipping sauce, fries and red cabbage, was a spot on lunch.

I had a chat with chef, to compliment him on the seitan, explaining my own disasters and he took the time, to give me some tips, so I will definitely have another go.

I love how vegan friendly Source is, I hope other vegans fully support their commitment, I would certainly love to return and sample other dishes on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment